MONDAY MAR 01, 2010
Sea Point Pavilion court battle continues
The company given the green light for a R60-million redevelopment of Sea Point Pavilion has argued in court that the implications and benefits of the project were properly considered by then-environment MEC Tasneem Essop.
On Track Developments, the main respondent to an application by environmental lobby group Sea Front for All (Seafa) to have the 2007 decision reviewed and set aside, defended the MEC’s decision in favour of the development at the Western Cape High Court hearing on Friday.
The MEC, the department director and the City of Cape Town were cited as respondents, but decided not to oppose the application.
Seafa alleged Essop did not consider alternatives to the popular public open space being used for a hotel, gym and shopping centre. She also did not consider a “no-go option” of not developing at all.
Seafa said her decision was based on outdated information, not any expert report.
John Newdigate, SC, for On Track, said Essop had been aware of concerns, and had taken these and all other factors into consideration, so whether one agreed or disagreed with her decision was irrelevant.
Judgment is to be delivered on March 26.